iHeart Math Holiday Hop





I have the pleasure of linking up with 22 wonderful math bloggers for an almost month long holiday hop.  We are excited about this collaboration because each day you can access a different blogger with  several holiday tips and a special gift.  Just click on the link at the bottom of this post to move to the next blog in this series!

Stocking Stuffer #1 Giving Back

This time of year when I am so busy and I have so many things planned with my students and my own children I like to take some time to remember that not everyone has a life this full.  Many older people spend their days alone and are looking for ways to pass the time.  I like to spread holiday cheer to these folks by helping my students establish connections with senior members of our community.  My favorite way to do this is by taking a class caroling at the adult day care center.  The smiles on everyone's faces are priceless!  

Stocking Stuffer #2 Holiday Math Tip

Living in the Northeast, the holidays and snow go hand in hand.  In the weeks leading up to the holiday vacation, student focus isn't at its best.  I find a great way to increase engagement in my math class and to review what we have been learning is to have a snowball toss.  Give each student a small piece of scrap paper and have them write something on it.  This could be something they know about fractions, an equation that equals 100, a division story problem or anything else you might be working on.  When they are done, have them crumble up their paper into a snowball and throw it at a target that you have drawn on the board or displayed on the screen.  Then each person goes up and picks up a snowball to read to the class.  It is a great way to share student thinking without putting anyone on the spot because they read someone else's idea.  It also will increase your student engagement and bring out misconceptions.  


A Special Gift

There is nothing like some holiday themed activities to help pass the long days of December.  I want to thank everyone for their support this year and give back to all my readers with a special gift.  

Primary teachers
Reindeer theme take away from 10 freebie!
Upper Elementary Teachers
Fraction addition and subtraction story problems reindeer task cards
Thank you for checking out our #iHeartMath Holiday Hop!  Make sure you stop by tomorrow and see what Sarah and Courtney over at Adventures in Guided Math have in store for you!


0 comments:

Post a Comment